Thursday 1 March 2012

Magnetic Dolls

LINK TO MY INSPIRATION
This was an idea that has been brewing for a loooong time, well before I got addicted to Pinterest. On a Disney holiday planning board there were LOTS of fun ideas to keep children entertained and busy on the long journey to get to WDW and I managed to complete quite a few for Little Prince and Princess Lollipop. One that I didn't get round to was making a Magnetic Doll for Princess Lollipop, so I intended to make it for her birthday instead and that didn't happen either! So I am finally getting round to it "just because..."

MY OWN CREATION
I bought two prettily shaped metal trays from a Car Boot Sale for 50p each! I didn't take a photo of them before I spray painted them, but trust me they were very gaudy and not pretty at all. They needed 4-5 layers of spray paint to completely cover up the horrible pictures, but that went pretty quickly as the paint I used (Rustoleum Painter's Touch Satin in Green Apple) only needed an hours drying time between coats. I then left them for 24 hours to make sure they were completely dry. I had printed out a doll ready to Mod Podge to the tray, and lots of clothes and accessories to stick onto magnetic paper.
Then I decided to have a look on Pinterest and see if anyone on there had any good ideas. BIG mistake lol!! I found one Pin which used an actual picture of the child as the Doll! I loved the idea, but the idea of then photographing Princess Lollipop in all sorts of different outfits was daunting to say the least. So as much as I loved the idea I put it to the back of my mind. I did carry on looking and found ANOTHER personalised Doll, however this Pin suggested turning the cut out photograph over and using it as a template to draw outfits on scrapbooking paper and gluing those to magnetic paper! GENIUS :-) A totally perfect idea :-) So that is now what I'm going to do!!

So I'm going to finish this post here and start a new one for the ACTUAL magnetic dolls I am making. And what happens to the trays you say? I'm thinking of using one to Mod Podge a saying or picture on to hang in my Craft Room and the other as an actual tray for Princess Lollipop to use in her Pink House :-)

WHAT I'D DO DIFFERENTLY NEXT TIME
I think I should completely research what I'm going to do and come to a final decision BEFORE starting something lol :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment