Thursday 19 July 2012

Menu Board

LINK TO MY PINSPIRATION

MY OWN PINSPIRED CREATION

I need a way to organise what we are eating each night, so that we can get the shopping right (and cheaper, without all the "panic buys"!!). We have been using a scrappy bit of paper, with the menu at the top and the shopping list at the bottom, but its not pretty and we keep forgetting to sit down and work out what we will eat for the week. After seeing all the pretty and organised Menu Boards on Pinterest, I decided we needed one too :-) After trawling through loads of different styles, I decided that this one would suit our family's way of working best. Although I am making it with space for a shopping list, instead of having two menu card holders.

I bought a flat pine frame on sale in the Supermarket, I Mod Podged pretty scrapbook paper to the pegs. Then I filled the frame with co-ordinating scrapbooking paper, and added the wording to the frame and letters for each day of the week to the pegs. Then I had to start work on the menu cards, I made a document with two columns and on the left hand side column typed the name of the dish, and on the right hand side the ingredients I would need from the shop.  After cutting out all the different meals, I folded the paper in half, so that the meal was on the front and the ingredients on the back and laminated them all.   I made a pocket to hold all the menu cards, by trimming down a small, slim cardboard box and then covering it in scrapbook paper and decorating it a little, I glued the box and pegs into place and added a decorated bulldog clip top hold the shopping list.

I kept the original glass from the frame, and placed it behind the "Menu Board" so that if I want to use it in the future its there waiting.
MY VERDICT
I think it looks very pretty, and fingers crossed it will make us a bit more organised - I'll let you know if a few weeks :-)

WHAT I'D DO DIFFERENTLY NEXT
I'd get on with it quicker and not faff about waiting for ages!!!  And I'm going to have to make a minor modification by gluing the scrapbook paper with the Menu Card box and bulldog clip glued to it, to a backing piece of thicker card.  In use the paper isn't sturdy enough to prevent it from becoming damaged with repeated opening and closing of the bulldog clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment