Friday 11 May 2012

A Scratchy Toy for Princess Lollipop


This idea wasn't Pinspired, it was born out of trying to ease Princess Lollipop out of co-sleeping in gentle baby-steps. She now consistently falls asleep in her own bed (at a reasonable 7pm-7.30pm), and stays there until about 3am-4am most nights. However, the next step will be for her to get herself to sleep, without needing me or Daddy to lay next to her bed, as she soothes herself to sleep by sticking her hand inside our sleeves and "scratching" our skin. I keep her nails very short, so it doesn't really hurt, unless she finds a tender spot!! While thinking of how to help her transition to this next step, I started to wonder how she could "scratch" without needing me or Daddy. I came up with the idea of a Scratchy Toy and thought that a Sausage Dog would be the perfect shape :-)  


I searched Pinterest for a pattern and didn't find one I liked, but after a search of the internet came up with the above (free) pattern and Pinned it to my Crafts board.

MY OWN CREATION

I downloaded the pattern to make the Scratchy Sausage Dog Toy, however, when I took it to my local photocopying place to get the pattern enlarged, they made a mistake and its not as big as it should be.  On reflection I decided to carry on and make the smaller size  Sausage Dog (and reduce the size of the seam allowance) as it will be much easier for 3 year old hands to carry around, and if Princess Lollipop does become attached to it, it won't take up too much space in a bag when we are out and about.  


I made the Sausage Dog from soft fleece fabric and cotton (instead of the wool and cotton suggested by the pattern). At the last minute I also decided to make a "spare" as we all know the heartache if a child loses their precious toy!!  Once I had cut the body and inner body pieces, I sewed french knots randomly all over the pieces, before finishing constructing the toy. I sewed buttons on for the eyes, making sure they were very firmly attached. 

PRINCESS LOLLIPOP'S VERDICT

She has been involved in every step of the Scratchy Toy construction, and was fascinated watching me sew, especially when  I used the sewing machine.  She has named her Scratchy, and will sometimes ask for her at bedtime and at others is adamant that she doesn't need her and will throw her out of her bed!  She is managing to get herself to sleep without scratching me, whether or not  she has Scratchy in bed with her or not.

MY VERDICT
I don't like how Scratchy has turned out at all.  Her ears mostly stick up and out (like a pair of aeroplane wings!) due to the difference in scale of the pieces to how they are supposed to be.  Also I can see all my mistakes and it seems to glare out at me where I've had to make last minute repairs.

WHAT I'D DO DIFFERENTLY NEXT TIME
I wouldn't try to cut out four pieces of fleece at the same time, it might be a lovely soft fabric but it isn't easy to cut through that many thicknesses!!  It was extremely fiddly to sew too, so I'd probably get the pattern enlarged to the correct size and not try to use such small seam allowances either.

No comments:

Post a Comment