Monday 13 February 2012

Super Hero Costume


LINK TO MY PINSPIRATION

MY OWN PINSPIRED CREATION
I made the Super Hero Costume for Princess Lollipop for her 3rd Birthday, so I had to make it in her favourite colour - PINK.

I used felt for the whole thing, and found it wonderful to work with, especially as it needs NO hems :-) I used a bib as a template for the neckline and then cut the rest of the cape to the size recommended in the Pinspiration. I found another Pin that had free printable templates for Super Hero motifs and chose a lightening bolt. I cut that out in white felt and appliqued it to the cape, using just a straight stitch. I top stitched all around the cape in white, just to give it some extra stability, and because I like how it makes it look more finished. I then sewed velcro to the neck to fasten it (so that it will easily come undone if grabbed when playing). I rounded the edges of the velcro square, so that it won't scratch Princess Lollipop's neck when she puts it on.

I also made Super Hero Cuffs using this Pin again in pink felt, with a white heart motif appliqued on, again with just a straight stitch. I sewed velcro along the short sides to fasten the cuffs, again rounding the corners so they don't scratch. And I top stitched all round the edges in white.

And lastly I made a simple pink felt Super Hero mask, from a template online, but I can't find the Pin I linked to it from, sorry. I measured Princess Lollipop's head and sewed on 1/4 inch elastic to hold it on.

PRINCESS LOLLIPOP'S VERDICT:
"I a Super Hewo" shouted before running up and down the room with her arm raised in a "Superman flying" type pose :-) She likes to wear the cuffs (which are a bit big and fall off) but isn't too sure what they are. She is also convinced that the lightning bolt on the back of the cape is a Christmas Tree lol.

WHAT I'D DO DIFFERENTLY NEXT TIME:
Practice sewing curves more! And I'd check the size of the neckline against the child I was making it for, as its quite tight and has no room for growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment